Sunday, August 26, 2012

Doggies!

I had some qualms about this fabric. It is polyester from Jo-ann. I try not to buy polyester, mostly because it's not very breathable, and breathability is important when the wearer's range of comfort is four degrees. Honestly, anything higher than 73 degrees and I'm probably already sweaty. But the dogs called to me... so in the end i came home with 1.25 yards. 

I initially planned to make a simple sundress with elastic/tie waist, but then had second thoughts. I don't wear sundresses/dresses all that often, and the thought of lining it.... seemed like too much work. Then, this one Anthropologie blouse popped into my head.  So totally copied it.

draped snail tank- anthropologie

split back with ruffles

The dog fabric doesn't drape as nicely as the silk-- it's a little too thick. But I suppose it was more of an exercise in pattern alteration.

       

I mashed up two Simplicity patterns I had on hand-- one for the neckline, the other for the armscyes and  length, and drafted the back as best i could. The neck and armholes are finished with a bias facing. 


The blouse is a little shapeless as is. It needs a snap on the back so the "flaps" stay together, otherwise, be worn with a belt. 


Pattern: Simplicity 2593 + Simplicity 2406
Fabric: polyester, from Jo-ann
Time: 1 hour (pattern drafting); 3 hours (sewing)

No comments:

Post a Comment